Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Judging those who judge

I was recently having a conversation with a friend who struggles with her beliefs her mother is catholic and her father is atheist. She struggles with a lot of different things one she said is judging. She said that she tries really hard to not judge but always finds herself doing it. We started talking about it and she said that she just has a hard time not getting mad at the girls who walk around in tiny little outfits just asking for attention. She has a hard time with same sex couples but does not judge those that are young moms or drug addicts. This proves the theory that judging comes from fear or not understanding those that you are judging.

I told her that she can not beat herself up but that those girls that are walking around like that 9 out 10 times it is because they are seeking a mans love because they did not get it right growing up and they think that by getting their attention sexually is love. I feel for those girls, I was one of them (sorry to the family that may read this and be shocked). The men and women who are in same sex relationships I still struggle with but I do not judge I talk it out with my good friend who helps me every conversation that we have to be more informed and i just continue to show love instead of hate. I told her that I used to judge others too until I started having a relationship with Christ. It was not until then that when I felt I was being judgmental I would pray that God would change my heart and help me to get past it. Every time he was faithful and I would be in a situation that I would have to deal with what I was judging.

I do not judge many people because I know what it feels like to feel judged. Many of you know my story but I have been through many things in my short life more than most who are three times my age and God has used me to show compassion to those that go through the same things that brought me shame and guilt. How awesome a God that he turns my sin that brought me to shame and guilt and uses it to help others.

Here is my struggle though with judging I have a problem with those that judge.
I get so angry when I see hate crimes against gay and lesbians it hurts my heart.
I get so angry at race crimes or even racial slurs it hurts my heart.
I get angry at the kid who is picked on in school just because he dresses different (when maybe that is all his parents can afford) it hurts my heart.
I feel for the 16 year old that is pregnant and does not know what choice to make because she does not know what people will think of her it hurts my heart.
I feel for the little girl who has been sexually abused and does not know if she can trust anyone with the truth because she has a past of telling lies it hurts my heart.
I realized writing this that it is not only my heart that hurts but my Heavenly father's as well.........

1 comment:

Elle Bee said...

I have been really struggling with having compassion for people who don't have compassion lately... I relate to this post.

And that's exactly what I'm "sad" and "done"....