Friday, December 16, 2011

My little May May


So the little girl that God uses to help me learn patience for the last year has really struggled. She has been having not only angry temper tantrums that last sometimes 2-3 hours but she had to repeat 1st grade because of some learning disabilities. She had a really hard time understanding why she had to stay in 1st grade when her other friends where going on to 2nd grade. I did my best to explain that she would be the oldest and be able to help the younger kids how things go in 1st grade and that by next summer she would be even better in Math and Reading (not sure if I handled it right but I did my best). She was diagnosed with ADD back in March we tried medication but she started getting headaches and then the medication was on back order so she went months without it. This time was the hardest time for our family her outbursts continued and then since younger siblings like to mimic the older Sam and Isabell started having tantrums. There were days that I would close myself in the bathroom and cry because I couldn't take all the screaming. She ended last years school year at a .68 reading level meaning she was just half way through the kindergarten reading requirements. She entered kindergarten at a .98 and now she is a 1.38!!! I have had to retrain my thinking and realize that she is not a 1st grader that should be in 2nd grade but a 1st grader period. She has not been on meds and although there are still tantrums we are dealing with them differently. I have cut out almost all TV and computer time so that she is strictly playing with toys during the week. I am so proud of her and how far she has come in these last 5 months. She really is my daughter that gives me gray hair and headaches but she is also the one that has the biggest heart of any child I know. If she sees a homeless person she wants to give them money, if she hears that an adoption agency has children to adopt she wants me to adopt them lol. She is always telling me that a child in her class needs prayer and she always remembers to pray for them. Today on our way home she said that she knows she was supposed to stay in her class again because a little boy was in a car accident yesterday and she was the only person who asked him why he was crying. God did good when he made my little may may so I will count the gray hairs and deal with the headaches because God has AMAZING plans for my little girl :)

No comments: