Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Frozen Doors=Lesson Learned

So this morning was our first snowfall...yeah I know it wasn't much but a light dusting of snow. I woke up to my car doors frozen shut. Not a big deal unless you pulled 4 kids out of bed at 600am and got them out in the 31 degree weather only to find out the doors were frozen shut. I proceeded to pull on the doors until the front open got them all in the car and pulled out. It was 645am and now all my interior lights came on and the car was beeping at me because the doors were open (but still frozen shut) confusing I know. So we sat there for 20 minutes. I stared at the clock knowing that i now had missed the girls latchkey bus and would have to take them to school at 820am. Making me 1.5 hours late for work. Finally we were off and I was beyond frustrated with my morning. I mean come on I have a remote start and it didn't work and all 5 of us had to sit in the car waiting for it to thaw and thaw!
And then the Holy Spirit slapped me in the face (that's how I like to look at it)! I felt like God was saying "Really Mariana you are angry that your remote start didn't work and you had to wait for your car doors to thaw?"
I started thinking about all the people in other countries where it is cold and they have to walk and maybe not with even a warm coat. Then I thought about our own local homeless people. It was COLD out and they don't even have a warm place to lay down at night! I couldn't believe that I let a little thing like my car doors being frozen to complain about for as long as I did this morning. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that we cant have bad days and I am not saying that I felt like God was yelling at me because I don't believe that is how he works (although at times it is the only way we will listen). BUT I do believe that he was allowing the Holy Spirit to convict me right then on how I look at things.
So I decided to have a better day and realized that the kids and I had an extra 1.5 hours together this morning listening to Christmas music and laughing at how Issy says "Elephant" kinda sounds like "ELMOFIT" (as someone pointed out to me today) :)
So next time I have a bad day I am going to do my best to look at things differently and thank God for a new lesson to be learned!

No comments: