Thursday, November 6, 2008

President Obama

I know I am a little late blogging about this but it is still fresh on my heart. I have to say that I was very emotional all Tuesday night. As I said before I love to Vote! I feel so blessed to live in a Country where we have freedom and where we get the chance to vote for who runs our Country. If you read my blog then you read the entry that I posted after the Democratic National Convention about how after watching it I knew that Obama was going to be our next President. There was just something about him and what he stood for that made me think. This came to a big surprise to me considering I have always been very much a conservative. His speech started to bring up feelings of really wanting change. I had so many people though that I felt like if they knew that I voted for him would question my faith. I struggled with this and thought God does not say anywhere in the Bible that we are to vote Republican. In fact he created our Country to have the freedom to choose who we felt would make the best decisions right? I went and voted at Bethany Lutheran Church first thing Tuesday morning sure of who I was going to vote for and was very proud that I was making my decision based on all the research I did and checking a site that a friend had given me to rule out all the rumors that were swirling around.
I planned on staying up late to see who was going to win and I have to say that I was not surprised. I also have to say that it was a very emotional win! I (if you do not know already) am a White Female so I will never understand what anyone who is African American goes through on a daily basis but I just kept thinking WOW it must be so amazing to see some one of your race become President. I have to say (it saddens me that I even know people who would say this) I heard a lot that Oh every person who is black is going to register so that a black man can become President! That sickens me and what is cool is that more White Americans voted for him than anyone else. I kept thinking wow look at all of these young kids who have been given hope not only African American but Asian,Mexican,Indian that they too can one day be President!!
The best about this is that look how many people did not look at President Obama's skin color but saw what he could do for our Country. I really hope that those that did not vote for him will at least respect him and I really hope that this starts our Country down the path of getting rid of Racism once and for all!! God created all of us and we are all his children and any disrespect to any of his children is disrespecting him. So now we all have to keep President Obama and his family in our prayers that he makes wise choices and keeps his promises and that his family is protected from harm. We also should pray for our Country that people start to see people and not color!

1 comment:

SuzyQ said...

Amen honey! I am right with you. So happy that Obama is our president - it is so meaningful in so many ways. :)

And I'll say a prayer for your sister.

I am the person with the squeaky shoes. You contacted me and wanted to put some info about us on your site. I said I thought that would be great, but never heard back from you so I thought I'd say hi. I think your husband works at the car dealership right? I have brand new styles by the way! :) Anyway, I've come to your blog a while after you emailed me and was taken with your comments so I had to write... :)
Sue
Baby Treads Squeakybabies
sue@babytreads.com