Friday, November 14, 2008

No title

I always say this before I write a blog that I know might be one that a lot of you may totally disagree with me on but remember this is MY blog and you can close it if you don't like it!!
Also I do not have great writing skills or grammer skills so please do not get out the red marker!!

I have been watching 20/20 tonight and it has kind of affected me a little. I am not really sure how I am feeling but it has just brought up questions in me but also some sadness. In case you did not see it the show was a special on "The Pregnant Man" . I have heard so many people say some pretty horrible things about this man and his wife and the choices that they have made to have a family. This all as you know really (even though I do not know this person) hurts me like really hurts me so much that I am almost crying while typing this. I really get angry at people who judge and make horrible comments about others. Every time I seen this couple on TV all I saw was a happy and very much in love couple. They both were glowing and just full of smiles. I can not believe the horrible messages and letters that they receive from people, people that share the same faith as me. It really sickens me that some one who says they have a heart for God and HIS people and then they turn around and call a complete stranger and leave a message saying in a voice full of hatred and anger "God does not make mistakes" and (paraphrasing here) you are evil and I hope your child gets taken away.

My best friend Lisabeth (I hope you don't mind me saying this) but when I first met her it was at a church group that her and her husband Jon led and I was giving my testimony. She came right up to me and said don't worry I have gone through some things in my life too and you will do fine. A couple months later she started working at Handprints as the lead teacher in the walker room and I was the lead teacher in the infant room. After one of our open houses we realized that we would both be going to California with Celebrate Recovery to Saddleback Church and we started talking. She started talking about how her family and how she has an older sister and a younger sister that is going through the transition to be a man soon. I will tell you honestly that I was caught a little off guard only because I have never known anyone who has been through this or even someone who knew someone who has been through this. Lisabeth though made it seem like no big deal. As we became closer and I listened to her talk about her brother I could tell how much she loved him and how accepting she was of him making this choice to do something to finally make him what he truly believes he was supposed to be. I have to say I am still torn because I do not get it but I will never ever HATE someone because of it. Lisabeth has taught me so much with issues like this because I do not have to agree or understand I just have to love them. I do not need to preach to them or shove God down their throat I just need to love and accept them and maybe they will see that ,here is one more person who has a heart for God but also loves me.

What if we all did that? What if we all loved them and accepted them? What if all of us that say that we love God show that to others that maybe we do not agree with their lifestyle? What if we see them as people and not as "THEM" or "THOSE PEOPLE"???? That is the kind of world I want to live in!

Again you may not agree with me or even question my walk with God or my faith but honestly I do not care because I only answer to one person and that is my Heavenly Father not YOU!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello-

We have never met, but I have heard a lot about you and you have apparently heard a lot about me. I'm LB's little brother, and she sent me a link to your site so I could read through your experience. Thank you for sharing.

I can only speak for myself, and I can only own my experience and story. I don't feel that there was any "mistake" made when I entered into this world (except that Reagan was president... j/k). Personally, I feel I was made to have this experience, and face the hardships and the good that come with it, and I am thankful every day for the perspective and outlook it has afforded me.

I believe, and again I can only speak for myself, that I am exactly who I was meant to be. LB and our older sister both love and encourage me in very different ways, and through their love I have been able to persevere through the hardest times and keep my eyes toward the horizon. So many times we're meant to feel less than the miraculous creatures we are --some because of their gender expression, sexuality or even religious beliefs. People I don't know and who I will never even meet will judge my life and my choices because of one factor about who I am. But I have reconciled the pieces of me that were broken apart by hate, and I have rearranged the pieces that didn't fit to make a new puzzle. All things considered, I am happy and I am at peace. I only hope others out there that are made to feel less than are someday able to do the same thing.

I also hope that those who would read your blog and decide to close it will one day meet a Lisabeth that will just open their mind and their heart to the idea of someone so different. I hope they have a heart as big as yours, and decide maybe they can just love them for who they know they are.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Even if all the voices raise up in dissonance, people are talking. Maybe some good can come from that.

I hope we get to meet soon.

Best,

K.P.

Barb said...

I watched the same show and had the same reaction to the horrid calls and letters the this loving family recieved. I do however have 1 question that was not answered in my brain and that is how can the state leagely make Thomas a man until he no longer has any female parts. Mind you I am not judging him I just don't understand it. I would think that it would not be complete until he has all the sugery. This question goes more to the legal aspect than any other. and by the way that baby is such a cutie i hope there next one brings them just as much joy as this one is.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb-

To answer your question, different states have different laws about when one can legally change their gender on their birth certificate or license. For female-to-male transgender individuals, they are often allowed to change their gender when they have "top surgery," which is a double mastectomy where the tissue of the breasts are removed and the area is shaped to appear more masculine. For a male-to-female transgender person, it is often a requirement to have "bottom surgery" in order to change their gender. I hope that helps.

Take care-

K.P.

Barb said...

K.P. Yes that helps. Thank you. My prayer in all of this is that people would be more open to things they do not undrestand and realize that we all have things we need to deal with in life and that we are more alike than different. I wish you love and happiness in all you do.

Mariana said...

K.P. Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I have heard so much about you that I feel like I already know you and I hope one day we can meet. I know that there are some bigs things coming up for you soon and I will keep you in my prayers during them. And look at least this does have people talking and thinking!!
Mariana